Saturday, May 29, 2010

On Russh Magazine






I am a self-proclaimed minimalist. Is this accurate? I'm not quite sure. All I know is I hate having things; I hate clutter. Perhaps I am partial to a blank, white space because it opens my mind and allows my imagination to run free. If the white wall above my bed had a poster, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I'd be too distracted by the image.

When I adopted this "minimalist" way of life, I stopped collecting things: coffee mugs with kooky sayings, Barbie dolls, free AOL CDs, crime scene "DO NOT CROSS" barricade tape, etc.

However, there is one very particular thing that I can't seem to stop collecting no matter how hard I try: magazines. Like a pack rat, I have acquired a stack of magazines the size of a mountain, and I can't seem to part with it. Let's just say I hope my house never catches on fire because my room would go up in flames in two seconds flat.

Russh Magazine, the bi-monthly Australian publication, is one of my favorites.

The images are stunningly provocative and the design is slick, clean and minimalist -just how I like it!



Established in 2004, the aim of the magazine is to showcase Australian fashion. The target audience is 18 to 30-year-old women.

Considering that major fashion publications are primarily published in the U.S. and Europe, I think it's exciting that a magazine from our friends "down under" is competing with the big boys.

MARCS AW10 - BEHIND THE CAMERA from Russh on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. "Minimalism is the end of organizing." Word up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, oh yes the magazines. I too have begun taking the minimalist approach, purging my room of clutter when I get the chance. I feel like magazines are like little beacons of inspiration. On days when I feel defeated, or bland or uninspired I like to take visits to the magazine section of the Duckstore or Barnes & Nobles, where I sit in the middle of the isle and sift through pages. I say never give them up. For as long as you are working creatively in conjunction with PR or the media, I think magazines will only help you gain clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, yes! I agree wholeheartedly w/ your sentiment: "I feel like magazines are like little beacons of inspiration." Can't tell you how many hours I've spent on the floor of Powell's pouring over those glossy pages...

    ReplyDelete