Sunday, May 9, 2010

On The Future of 'Coolhunting'




Last night, as I slowly devoured some delicious berry cobbler, I couldn't stop thinking about the future--particularly my future and what the professional world has in store for me. People always ask, "What do you want to do?" Our culture demands that we define ourselves by our career, and because of this, I always feel obligated to answer; however, my answer continues to change as the days change.

I think this echoes what many industry insiders continue to say: The job you will someday have has not yet been created.




The world of journalism and communications is growing, thriving and evolving, which is (if I can be so candid) both frightening and really, really awesome. To keep up with this phenomenon, I want to be as knowledgeable as I possibly can about media convergence and international trends. As a result, I have bookmarked a litany of Web sites that provide me updates on, what I like to refer to as, "the latest and greatest."




One of my personal favorites is The Cool Hunter: an increasingly popular design and culture blogsite that features new and innovative art, architecture, fashion, music, etc. from around the world.




The site's motto, "roaming the U.S. and the world... so you're in the know" really reflects the site's overall pastiche. I think it's also worth mentioning that, as a college student with a very limited income, "The Cool Hunter" is an excellent way to vicariously travel to some fascinating places--places I hope to one day visit, income permitting.






So who wants to hire me? Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment