Monday, May 17, 2010

Response: "7 Ways a College Student Can Start Becoming a Professional Now"


Source: The Onion



Yesterday, I read a piece of advice that is remarkably allied to my current status as a soon-to-be college grad (Holy COW!)
It came from Steve Hannah, CEO of The Onion (the funniest faux news source under the sun.) When asked, " What is your career advice to somebody just graduating from college?" He replied, rather matter-of-factly:

" Find what you really love to do and then go after it — relentlessly. And don’t fret about the money. Because what you love to do is quite likely what you’re good at. And what you’re good at will likely bring you financial reward eventually.

I’ve seen too many people who have plotted a career, and often what’s at the heart of all that plotting is nothing other than a stack of dollar bills. You need to be happy in order to be good, and you need to be good in order to succeed. And when you succeed, there’s a good chance you’ll get paid."

On one hand, I can't hardly believe I'm graduating. It seems like just yesterday I was eating PB&Js on the playground, studying the Oregon Trail, listening to Spice Girls on my discman on the walk home from school. Conversely, I feel like I've been in school forever—which is true: I've spent nearly three-fourths of my life as a pupil. Needless to say, I'm so burnt out. And I feel it's fair enough for me to say that. I'm ready for the next chapter, the next step. I've never been so eager for anything in my entire life.

That's why I found "7 Ways a College Student Can Start Becoming a Professional Now" particularly useful & relatable.

Here is what David Spinks suggests. Let's see how I match up.

Plant your seeds.

Well, I have a LinkedIn profile but it's collecting dust. Perhaps it's about time I start using it.

Participate in projects.

"Start writing for college newspapers," says Spinks. I agree. I'm writing for two campus publications found here and here

Attend events

I frequent lectures (if my homework load permits) and treasure every piece of advice a professional provides.

Join communities

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm a frequent, if not obsessive user of just about every social media gadget out there.

Start Writing.

YES! Thank you, Spinks. Love it.

Establish mentorships.

Aforementioned, I cherish all professional advice, especially advice from those professionals who are deeply passionate about what they do.

Ignore me and do whatever you want.

Everyone has their own style, yes, but I think this a solid list of advice.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

    About the "following what you love" mantra isn't always the best advice. If you know what you love, then you should definitely try and follow it. Thing is, most people don't really know what they love...or they think they do, and then when they find themselves doing it every day, they lose that passion.

    Stay open to new things. Take great opportunities when they come, not just for money, but for the ability to learn new things. You never know what you might end up loving.

    Good luck with everything. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice, David. I agree. Being open to experience is the best way to expand your brain and realize new potentials.

    ReplyDelete