Monday, May 3, 2010

On Creative Teamwork



StrongerMarriage.org



Often if not, the execution and success of any idea is reliant on teamwork, not merely an individual's flash-in-the-pan spark of genius . Moreover, working as a team requires logical thinking and two-way communication on all parts. Establishing a dialogue (not monologue) between yourself and co-workers will yield stronger, more creative results. Yes, I truly believe that if one thinks of his or herself as a member of a team, rather than an individual with personal objectives, much more will be accomplished.

Collaboration is the underlying theme of Anita Saran's post "Secrets of Successful Creative Teams." Saran highlights the integral relationship between the "copy/art partnership", while referencing Drayton Bird, former International Creative Director of Ogilvy & Mather, who says "Good partnerships seem to produce outstanding results. Bad partnerships never do.”


I intially belived that every individual plays just one single role in the workplace; however, Saran points out the mutually beneficial relationship that can exist between writers and art directors. She writes that a copywriter and art director should seek to complement each other, not distance themselves. As she puts it, "Writers can and should think visually; Art Directors can and should think verbally."


I think this is an excellent point. I tend to approach writing from both a logistical and visual stand point. That is, I hope to paint a picture with my words, yes, but more than that, I like to literally enhance my words with literal representations. On this blog, I am both the copy writer and the art director; I have the ability to wear various hats. And I think this will help me in the workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment