Monday, May 31, 2010

Response:"10 Rules For Consistent Execution"



Illustration by Marc Kauffman


I found Amber Naslund's post "10 Rules For Consistent Execution" particularly of the essence considering I have a fair sized "To Do" list this week. Naslund suggests 10 excellent ways to stay on top of your work or, as she puts it: "relentless execution."

1. Keep a roadmap.

Naslund says the best way to manage your priorities is to stay organized and trust your gut. If too much work is too much work, re-approach your time management skills.

2. No more than three calls/meetings in one day.

Though I've never been a huge "phone talker" I recognize why it's important to limit your time talking about what you should be doing.

3. One day per week with no meetings at all.

This, too, is important in order to give a project your "full, undivided attention."

4. Delegate

One of my greatest project-related weaknesses is delegating work to others I feel I can take on myself. It's important to trust and have faith in those you work with.

5. Ask about urgency before saying yes.

It's good to separate imperative, must-be-done -now work from lofty, down-the-line projects. Sometimes I'll do my favorite assignments before doing the urgent. It's important to keep in mind deadlines and refer back to that 'road map.'

6. Wait 24 hours before agreeing to anything

Processing and analyzing a request is necessary for scheduling reasons. I never bite off more than I can chew because I value qualitative over quantitative work.

7. Never accept an appointment if not in front of my calendar.

It's important to double check your schedule to make sure you don't double book. I carry my planner with me everywhere I go.

8. Accept that no isn’t forever.

Opportunity always presents itself and it's important to keep this in mind when rejection occurs or when turning down projects.

9. Family time is inviolate.

I hope to have a career and a family one day. It's a fine balancing act, but my dad and step-mom are good examples of career oriented, hard workers who put their family first.

10. Create time.

Are you sacrificing hobbies, sleep, TV and a clean house in order to get stuff done? I am. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy, but, heck, I'm "getting it done" and that's what counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment